In this free Java Foundations video, we explain some of the fundamental concepts in programming. For example – we will review how to use data types, variables, conditional statements, and loops. Also, we will learn how to debug our code and see where it fails.
Each of these topics is explained with many real-life examples and hands-on exercises. As always, we advise you to pause the video right before solving part of a problem and try to do the exercises on your own first. Then, if you have difficulties, just watch the provided solutions in the video. If you still have questions, we’re always here to help! Join our Facebook group and ask away!
*The exercise descriptions are to be found in the PDF document at the end of this post.
If you are new to programming, make sure to watch the Free Full Java Basics course first, as it is a necessary prerequisite to this one. It explains the topics in a lot more detail, as this video aims to revise them and get to more complex topics after that.
This course is also perfect for people who have some background in programming with a different language and would like to pick up on Java.
Java Coding: First Steps
- The Java Language, IDE, Writing Java Programs and Commands
Expressions and Statements
- Variables, Data Types, Operators, Expressions, Input / Output
- Control-Flow Logic with the if-else Conditional Statements
Advanced Conditional Statements
- Nested and Complex if-else Statements
- Repeating Blocks of Code
- Increasing a Variable from X to Y
- Repeating Code Blocks While a Condition Is True
- Using Loops Inside Other Loops
- More Complex Control-Flow Logic
Remember that coding is a skill, which should be practiced. To learn to code, you should write code, every day, for a long time. Watching tutorials is not enough. You should code! Now it’s your turn. Do your exercises!